Astrid Riedel, Hollows, Enamels, Implosions, & Mokume Gane, March 14-18, 2019
Call to be on waitlist!!
Marble Bead Making
- -Preparing a small glass plate as a base for the decoration, (done on a punty)
- -Making Wig/Wag cane -Making layered cane
- -Making designs with enamels and spiral imprint
- -Making spiky implosion in marble bead
- -Shaping marbles and inserting a small screw into bead when hot. A bail with a threaded pin will be wound into it. This makes it an interchangeable bead.
- -NOTE Special tool is required for this technique.
Off Mandrel Hollows
- Level Intermediate/ advanced Description: Day 1
- Theory on blowing glass beads off mandrel
- Creating round, lentil and tapered tube shaped hollow beads off mandrel without decorations!
- Day 2
- Theory on expansion, example: softness/stiffness of different colors of glass
- Theory on applying different decorations on a hollow bead
- Creating hollow lentil shaped beads with decorations such as shards, enamels and fine stringers
- Creating twisty’s and applying them to a hollow tube bead
Enamel Painting in the Flame
- Theory of when and where to heat the glass when using stringers.
- Pulling hair fine stringers
- Learning to draw straight lines and curved lines with stringersMokume Gane/ Battuto beads 2 day classDay 1
- Preparing multi layered cane
- Creating lentil beads
- Layering beads with enamels and shardsDay 2
- Cold working the beads
- Polishing the beads in the flame of the torch
- Final decorations such as fine stringer murrini etc
This class does include lunches and glass packs!
We will also be doing a Hotshop dinner the first night of class and then a graduation ceremony the second
to last day of class!