Astrid Riedel, Implosions, Hollows, Enamels, & OP-Art, February 21-25, 2019
Marble Bead Making
- -Preparing a small glass plate as a base for the decoration, (done on a punty)
- -Making Wig/Wag cane -Making layered cane
- -Making designs with enamels and spiral imprint
- -Making spiky implosion in marble bead
- -Shaping marbles and inserting a small screw into bead when hot. A bail with a threaded pin will be wound into it. This makes it an interchangeable bead.
- -NOTE Special tool is required for this technique.
Off Mandrel Hollows
- Level Intermediate/ advanced Description: Day 1
- Theory on blowing glass beads off mandrel
- Creating round, lentil and tapered tube shaped hollow beads off mandrel without decorations!
- Day 2
- Theory on expansion, example: softness/stiffness of different colors of glass
- Theory on applying different decorations on a hollow bead
- Creating hollow lentil shaped beads with decorations such as shards, enamels and fine stringers
- Creating twisty’s and applying them to a hollow tube bead
Enamel Painting in the Flame
- Theory of when and where to heat the glass when using stringers.
- Pulling hair fine stringers
- Learning to draw straight lines and curved lines with stringers
Hip to be Square/Op Art
- The art of creating the checkered board pattern in or on a bead
- Encasing your designs without dragging the design
- Encasing a spiral core in the bead
- Fine stringer application and heat control
- Adding 3D OP art illusions to your bead
- Learn to encase a round bead and a lentil shaped bead so no ugly sides stick out!
This class does include lunches and glass packs!
We will also be doing a Hotshop dinner the first night of class and then a graduation ceremony
the second to last day of class!